UM BWMC is committed to providing the highest quality care to our patients, and our cardiac patients are certainly no exception. Our cardiac care has earned many awards and recognitions:
- Designation as a Cardiac Interventional Center. When EMS providers identify a heart attack patient, they transport the patient to the closest designated Cardiac Interventional Center, bypassing hospitals without the designation.
- Designation as a Primary Stroke Center by the American Stroke Association and Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems.
- 2016 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®- Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award recipient.
- 2016 Mission: Lifeline® Gold Quality Achievement Award recipient from the American Heart Association.
- 2015 and 2016 American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry–GWTG Platinum Performance Achievement Award recipient recognizing our commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients.
- In 2012, UM BWMC’s cardiac rehab therapists developed the first ever Maryland Heart Games to offer a variety of challenging, safe and competitive activities for cardiac rehab patients of all ages in the state of Maryland.
- In 2010, UM BWMC was the first hospital in Anne Arundel County to purchase LifeNet equipment for the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) teams in Anne Arundel County and BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport. This allows field-based EMTs and hospital-based care teams to share and store critical patient data, such as heart rhythms and blood flow, needed for quick decision-making. In January 2016, UM BWMC purchased new, updated LifeNet systems to keep the County and BWI EMT teams equipped with the latest technology.