Having a renowned cancer center right here lets you focus on what's most important, fighting back.
Cancer touches almost everyone. One in three people will get one form or another. So we are very fortunate to have the Tate Cancer Center here at University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center.
Named for Creston and Betty Jane Tate, the Tate Cancer Center is affiliated with the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, one of the country's leading hospitals in the treatment of blood, brain, breast, lung and prostate cancer.
Having all the experts and all their sophisticated technology on our campus helps minimize the time and confusion normally spent battling cancer. Physicians can diagnose patients and establish comprehensive treatment plans, saving patients trips to various locations for testing and appointments. Medical history can easily be relayed. Patients can consult with their physicians. In short, people talk to one another. That's important. Because when great minds work together, amazing things happen.
Our specialized, multidisciplinary cancer programs include:
- Surgical Oncology: Diagnosing and surgically treating cancers of the gastrointestinal tract including esophageal, gastric, liver, pancreatic, bile duct, intestinal, stomach, gallbladder, bowel and colorectal cancers as well as endocrine malignancies and related conditions. We are specialized in minimally invasive techniques including laparoscopic and robotic surgery. Learn more.
- Thoracic Surgery: Diagnosing and treating cancers of the lung and esophagus, as well as related conditions. Learn more.
- Melanoma and Skin Cancer: Diagnosing, treating and removing melanoma and skin cancer.
- Breast Cancer and Disease: Evaluating and treating all types of breast problems and concerns, including patients with benign and malignant breast tumors, at the Aiello Breast Center. We provide an integrated plastic surgery expertise for breast reconstruction. Learn more.
- Medical Oncology: Specializing in personalized treatment plans for patients undergoing chemotherapy. The team provides consultations, treatments and continuous follow-up care for cancer management. Learn more.
- Radiation Oncology: Offering the latest technology such as the Calypso® 4D Localizing System™ or GPS for the Body®, an organ-motion dedication radiation therapy, and the Trilogy® System from Varian, which combines imaging and treatment technologies to deliver external beam radiotherapies. Learn more.
- Oncological Interventional Radiology: Providing expertise in CT scan guided techniques of soft tissue ablation of tumors and liver targeted therapy.
- Genitourinary Surgery: Diagnosing and treating cancers of the prostate, bladder, kidney, male genitalia and testis as well as related diseases. Learn more.
- Gynecological Oncology: Diagnosing and treating cancers of the ovaries and endometrium as well as related diseases.
- Dietician Services: Providing nutritional consultations and management of specialized diets for cancer patients.
- Clinical Trials: Offering patients access to several clinical trials through the radiation oncology department. Learn more.
- Image Renewal Services: The Tate Cancer Center partners with local organizations that offer services and products to relieve side effects of cancer treatments and other therapies that cause appearance changes.
For more information about these programs or to make an appointment, call 410-553-8100.
Click here to view a welcome letter from medical director Dr. Cherif Boutros.
Click here to view a copy of the Tate Cancer Center 2013 Annual Report