The University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology offers diabetes education programs to help you take control of your disease, prevent complications and minimize unnecessary hospitalization. Our Certified Diabetes Educators are experts in diabetes management and have years of experience helping patients adopt healthy behaviors.
DIABETES SELF MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
This class series teaches important skills for diabetes self-management and helps patients develop personalized strategies to support healthy behavior changes. Taught by our Certified Diabetes Educators, the four-part program features the following two-hour classes:
- TAKE CONTROL NOW! Learn the basics of diabetes, checking blood sugars, treating highs and lows, and managing your medications.
- NOW WHAT DO I EAT? Learn what foods contain carbohydrates and fiber and get started on meal planning.
- STILL IN CONTROL! Learn how exercise can help control diabetes and how to reduce the risks of diabetes related complications.
- HEART HEALTHY NUTRITION: Learn how to dine out, keep your blood glucose in target AND eat for a healthy heart.
Class series are offered on Tuesday evenings from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and Wednesday mornings from 9 to 11 a.m. Additional dates and times are available. Classes are billed to your insurance. Please note some insurances require a referral from your Primary Care Physician. Call 410-787-4940 to schedule your classes.
OTHER DIABETES CLASSES
- Gestational Diabetes Management: This one-hour individual appointment is designed to help pregnant women understand gestational diabetes and how to care for yourself to achieve a health pregnancy. Appointments are billed to your insurance. Please note some insurances require a referral from your Primary Care Physician. Call 410-787-4940 to schedule your appointment.
- Preventing Diabetes: This one-hour class is hosted by a diabetes educator and discusses factors leading to diabetes. The session will explore lifestyle changes to prevent diabetes and improve overall health. Classes are free but reservations are requested. Visit mybwmc.org/calendar-date to view class dates and times and to register; or call 410-787-4940.
- Additional advanced classes are available for established patients, such as insulin pump and glucose control classes.
- Living with Diabetes Support Group: This group is open to all people with diabetes and their family members. The attendees raise topic discussions including maintaining a healthy lifestyle, managing diabetes, challenges and health tips. The group meets on the third Wednesday of the month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at 300 Hospital Drive, Suite 223 in Glen Burnie. Reservations are not needed. For more information, call 410-787-4940. Visit mybwmc.org/calendar-date to view upcoming dates.
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Group: This group is specifically designed for adult individuals with type 1 diabetes and their family members. This event brings community members together to share ideas, stories and concerns about living with type 1 diabetes. The group meets on the last Wednesday of the month from 6 to 7 p.m. at 300 Hospital Drive, Suite 223 in Glen Burnie. Reservations are not requested. For more information, call 410-787-4940 or call Krista at 410-787-4000 x8609. Visit mybwmc.org/calendar-date to view upcoming dates.