Only about 15% of patients require hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). But for those who undergo it can see substantial improvement. HBOT delivers oxygen at a concentration two to three times greater than the normal gases surrounding the earth. Patients are placed in a chamber where they inhale 100% oxygen.
What should I expect during my treatment?
Treatment is administered while you are in a pressure chamber, called a monoplace chamber. Only one person is in the chamber at a time, offering privacy and the ability to tailor everything to your needs. Most treatments last approximately two hours. The treatment is not painful and there are few minor side effects.
What are the benefits?
- Increased blood flow to the injured tissues
- Increased blood vessel formation
- Increased healing of wounds
- Reduced swelling
- Reduced infection
- Preservation of compromised tissue
- Stimulation of new bone formation
- Decreased size of life-threatening air bubbles in the blood
- Reduced effect of toxic substances
For more information about the Wound Healing Center or to make an appointment, call 410-787-4900. Consultations are available by calling 410-787-4908.