Treats gingivitis (swelling of the gums) and other problems of the mouth and gums.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to chlorhexidine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much and how often to use this medicine.
- This medicine should be used after you have brushed and flossed your teeth.
- Measure out 1/2 fluid ounce (15 milliliters) as marked in the cap which comes with the bottle.
- Swish the solution in your mouth for at least 30 seconds.
- Do not swallow chlorhexidine; spit it out after rinsing your mouth.
- This medicine is usually used twice a day.
- Do not mix it with water or other fluids.
- After you use this medicine, wait several hours before eating or drinking.
If a dose is missed:
- Use as soon as possible except when it is close to the time for your next treatment.
- If almost time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and return to the usual time to use the medicine.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- This product should be stored away from heat and direct light; it should not be frozen.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Be sure to tell your dentist if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You should not use this product longer than your doctor orders.
- This medicine may discolor your teeth a yellow-brown color. This is normal and can be removed with professional cleaning.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Irritation of the mouth and tongue
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Stained tongue, teeth, tooth fillings, and dentures
- Increase in tartar on teeth.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04