Treats fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure. This medicine is a diuretic (water pill).
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to bumetanide or to sulfa drugs. You should not use this medicine if you have liver or kidney problems or if you are dehydrated.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If this medicine upsets your stomach, you may take it with food.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet. You may need to eat foods that are high in potassium (such as oranges or bananas) to prevent potassium loss while you are using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using bepridil (Vascor®), blood thinners (Coumadin®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), lithium, or other diuretics (such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, Hyzaar®, Zestoretic®).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, gout, or pancreatitis.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, problems urinating, nausea or vomiting
- Fever chills, cough, pain in side or lower back
- Hearing loss, or ringing in the ears
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe diarrhea or stomach pain
- Skin rash or hives
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite
- Problems having sex
- Stomach cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04