Treats diarrhea and decreases the amount of drainage in patients who have ostomies.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
All-Purpose First Aid Kit, Anti-Diarrheal, Diamode, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Anti-Diarrheal, Good Sense Anti-Diarrheal, GoodSense Loperamide Hydrochloride, Imodium A-D, Imogen, Imotil, Imperim, Kaodene A-D, Leader Anti-Diarrheal, QC Anti-Diarrheal, Quality Choice Anti-Diarrheal, Rite Aid Anti-Diarrheal
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to loperamide or if you have severe colitis, diarrhea caused by antibiotics, or dysentery. Do not give to children under 2 years of age.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Drink plenty of water while using this medicine.
- May be taken on an empty or full stomach.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to use your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not give loperamide to children or an elderly person unless your doctor tells you to.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any antibiotic drug.
- Loperamide solution (liquid) contains alcohol.
- If you are still having diarrhea after using this medicine for 2 days, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Constipation with nausea and vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stomach pain, cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Changes in vision, such as trouble focusing
- Drowsiness or dizziness