- Spanish Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Wellness Tools
- Thomson DrugNotes
- In-Depth Reports
- Pregnancy Center
- Care Guides
- Spanish Surgery and Procedures
- Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Thomson DrugNotes Spanish
- Spanish Pregnancy Center
- Surgery and Procedures
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Diazepam (By mouth)
Treats anxiety, muscle spasms, seizures, and other medical conditions. This medicine is a benzodiazepine.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Valium, Diazepam Intensol
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to diazepam or to similar medicines (such as Restoril®, Xanax®). You should not use this medicine if you are pregnant, or if you have narrow-angle glaucoma or untreated open-angle glaucoma.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Flush all leftover medicine down the toilet after you have finished your treatment. Also flush old medicine after the expiration date has passed. This medicine is one of only a few medicines that should be disposed of this way.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cimetidine (Tagamet®), theophylline, an MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®), medicine for depression (such as Luvox®, Paxil®, Prozac®, Serzone®, Zoloft®), phenothiazines (such as Compazine®, Phenergan®, Serentil®, Thorazine®), medicine for seizures (such as Depakote®, Dilantin®, Keppra?, Luminal®, Tegretol®), or any medicine to treat mental illness.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy (such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, or sedatives).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, or if you have glaucoma, seizures, breathing problems, liver disease, or kidney disease.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not take more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions.
- Taking too much of this medicine can cause death. Symptoms of an overdose include: Extreme dizziness or weakness, shortness of breath, slow heartbeat, seizures, and cold, clammy skin.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe confusion, drowsiness, or muscle weakness
- Severe nausea or vomiting, stomach pain, increased sweating
- Tremors or muscle cramps
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Hangover feeling
- Mild nausea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor