Treats worm infections such as pinworms, roundworms, and hookworms. Belongs to a class of drugs called anthelmintics.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to mebendazole.
How to Use This Medicine
Suspension, Chewable Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often.
- You may need to take only 1 dose of this medicine.
- Your tablets may be chewed, swallowed whole, or crushed and mixed with food.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- It is best to take mebendazole with a meal.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store your tablets in a tightly closed container, away from heat, direct light and moisture.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using Tagamet®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of liver disease or currently have any liver problems, Crohn's disease, or ulcerative colitis.
- Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you are using mebendazole for hookworms or whipworms, ask your doctor about using iron supplements.
- Pinworm is easily spread from one person to another. Have all other members of your household checked or treated.
- Wash all bed sheets and night clothes in hot water.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash, hives, or itching
- Swelling of the face or mouth
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain.