Treats infections caused by fungus. Belongs to a class of drugs called antifungals.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Nystop, Nyamyc, Pedi-Dri, Mycostatin, Pediaderm AF
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction to nystatin.
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Powder, Ointment
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often.
- Wash your hands before and after using this medicine.
- Use this medicine on your skin only. Do not get the medicine in your eyes.
- Put the medicine on the affected area and rub in gently.
- Do not put a bandage on the area unless your doctor tells you to. Avoid tight-fitting diapers and plastic pants if using on diaper area of children.
- It is important to use this medicine for as long as your doctor tells you to.
- If your infection does not begin to clear after a few days of using this medicine, call your doctor.
- If using nystatin for an infection of the feet, apply the powder to the affected area and sprinkle it in your socks and shoes as well.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply the missed dose as soon as possible unless it is almost time for next dose.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to use your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not apply two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows before you use any other skin medicine (prescription or nonprescription) on the same area you are treating with nystatin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before using nystatin.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stinging or burning where you use the medicine
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04