Treats stuffy nose due to colds, hay fever, allergies, sinus and upper respiratory tract infections. Belongs to a class of drugs called nasal decongestants.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Afrin, Vicks Sinex 12 Hour, Nasin, Afrin w/Menthol, Afrin Extra Moisturizing, Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour, Afrin Sinus, NRS-Nasal Relief, Rite Aid Moisturizing Nasal Spray, Good Neighbor Nasal Spray Pump, Rite Aid Nasal Spray, Good Sense Nasal Spray, Mucinex Full Force, Mucinex Moisture Smart, 4-Way Long Lasting
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to oxymetazoline or to other nasal decongestants. You should not use oxymetazoline if you have narrow-angle glaucoma. Check with your doctor before using oxymetazoline if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, overactive thyroid, or an enlarged prostate.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often. You should not use more often or in larger amounts than your doctor has ordered. Always follow the instructions on the medicine label if your doctor did not order the medicine.
- Blow your nose gently before using the nose drops. Tilt your head back while standing or sitting and squeeze drops into each nostril. Keep your head tilted back for a few minutes afterward.
- Rinse the dropper with hot water and dry with a clean tissue.
- Blow your nose gently before using the nasal spray. With you head upright, spray the medicine once into each nostril, sniffing while squeezing the bottle quickly and firmly. Wait 3 to 5 minutes to allow the drug to work, then blow your nose gently again. Repeat until you have used the number of sprays your doctor ordered.
- Rinse the tip of the nasal spray with hot water and dry with a clean tissue.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from direct heat and light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You should not use this medicine for more than 3 days unless you have talked to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Slow, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Seizures (convulsions)
- Tingling in the hands or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning or stinging inside of the nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04