Treats low blood calcium in kidney dialysis patients and other patients. Calcitriol is a form of vitamin D.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid Filled Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often to use it.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- If you are on dialysis, avoid magnesium-containing antacids (Maalox®, Mylanta®) while taking this medicine.
- You should not use vitamin supplements or other forms of vitamin D while taking calcitriol.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking chloestyramine (Questran®) before taking this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Check with your doctor before taking calcitriol if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or have any medical problems.
- If you are on dialysis, you may need to follow a special diet and take phosphate-binding medicine. Talk to your doctor about this.
- If you are not on dialysis, drink plenty of liquids.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting, long-lasting headache, constipation, sleepiness and weakness.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Bone pain.
- Cloudy or foaming urine.