Used on the skin to treat acne. Belongs to a class of drugs called antibiotics.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Akne-Mycin, Erycette, Ery
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to erythromycin.
How to Use This Medicine
Ointment, Pad, Lotion, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Swab
- Your doctor will tell you how often to use the medicine.
- Use this medicine on the skin only. Never swallow it.
- Wash and dry the affected area before using the medicine.
- The medicine should be spread lightly over the affected area (on and around the acne). Do not rub it into your skin.
- Keep medicine away from the eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands well after using this medicine.
- The pledgets (swabs) or pads should be used just once and then thrown away.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use twice as much medicine if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Check with your doctor before using any other acne medicine on your skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Skin rash, redness, swelling or itching
- Dry or peeling skin
- Tenderness, stinging or burning
- Eye irritation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04