- Spanish Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Wellness Tools
- Thomson DrugNotes
- In-Depth Reports
- Pregnancy Center
- Care Guides
- Spanish Surgery and Procedures
- Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Thomson DrugNotes Spanish
- Spanish Pregnancy Center
- Surgery and Procedures
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Spironolactone/hydrochlorothiazide (By mouth)
Hydrochlorothiazide (hye-droe-klor-oh-THYE-a-zide), Spironolactone (spir-on-oh-LAK-tone)
Treats fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure. This medicine is a combination of two types of diuretics ("water pills").
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to spironolactone or hydrochlorothiazide. You should not use this medicine if you are unable to urinate or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or high potassium levels in your blood (hyperkalemia), if you are also using potassium supplements or salt substitutes, or if you are taking other diuretics such as spironolactone (Aldactone®), or triamterene (Dyazide®, Dyrenium®, Maxzide®).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cyclosporine (Sandimmune®), cholestyramine (Questran®), colestipol (Colestid®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), lithium, pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, Advil®, Aleve®, Indocin®, Motrin®, Orudis®, Relafen®), potassium supplements, salt substitutes, steroids (such as cortisone, prednisone), or other blood pressure medicine (such as Accupril®, Altace®, Lotensin®, Lotrel®, Monopril®, Prinivil®, Zestoretic®, Zestril®), or low-salt milk.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, lupus, menstrual problems, or pancreatitis.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Confusion, weakness, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling in hands, feet, or lips
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea or vomiting
- Fever, chills, cough, hoarseness
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Problems urinating, pain in side or lower back
- Severe diarrhea or stomach pain
- Skin rash or itching
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breast tenderness, changes in hair growth, irregular menstrual periods in women
- Breast enlargement in men
- Loss of appetite
- Mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach upset
- Problems having sex
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor