Treats eye swelling, itching, and discomfort caused by allergies. Belongs to a class of drugs called corticosteroids.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Econopred Plus, Omnipred, Pred Forte, Pred Mild, Prednisol
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to prednisolone or other corticosteroids such as dexamethasone (Decadron®). You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium bisulfite.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Talk with your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicines in the eye.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma, an eye infection, or cataracts before using this medicine.
- Do not wear contact lenses unless approved by your doctor.
- You should not use leftover medicine to treat other eye conditions.
- While you are using this medicine, keep all appointments with your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe eye irritation, redness, swelling or pus in or around the eye
- Severe eye pain
- Change in or loss of vision