Treats asthma, bronchitis, and other lung disorders. Belongs to a class of drugs called bronchodilators.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to metaproterenol or any other drug like metaproterenol (such as Proventil®, Ventolin®, or epinephrine).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Measure the oral liquid using a marked measuring spoon.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Take the rest of the doses for the day at regularly spaced time intervals.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking heart or blood pressure medicine, or medicine for depression.
- You should not use cocaine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor before taking metaproterenol if you have high blood pressure or heart disease, a thyroid disorder, or diabetes.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If metaproterenol does not help your breathing or if your condition worsens while you are using it, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain
- Fast pounding heartbeat
- Severe headache or tremors
- Your skin starts to look pale or blue
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Restlessness, nervousness, or shakiness
- Headache, nausea or vomiting
- Mild dizziness or drowsiness
- Difficulty sleeping
- Loss of appetite or change in taste
- Pain or difficulty going to the bathroom (urinating)
- Muscle cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04