Treats certain types of cancer and other diseases such as nephrotic syndrome (a kidney disorder).
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cyclophosphamide, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with food to avoid stomach upset. Drink extra fluids so you will pass more urine while you are using this medicine. This will keep your kidneys working well and help prevent bladder problems.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using allopurinol (Zyloprim®), pentostatin (Nipent®), phenobarbital (Luminal®), succinylcholine (Anectine®), tamoxifen (Nolvadex®), a steroid (such as cortisone, prednisone), or other cancer medicines or radiation (X-ray treatments). Talk to your doctor before getting any vaccines (such as flu shots).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- This medicine can cause birth defects if it is used by the mother while she is pregnant or by the father when his sexual partner becomes pregnant. If a pregnancy occurs while you are using this medicine, tell your doctor right away. Use two forms of birth control to avoid pregnancy while you are using this medicine and for at least 6 months after your treatment ends. This is very important whether you are a man or a woman.
- If you plan to have children, talk with your doctor before using this medicine. Some men and women using this medicine have become infertile (unable to have children).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or blood cell or bone marrow disorders. Some patients using this medicine have developed second forms of cancer, even years after stopping the medicine. Talk to your doctor about this risk.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine for several days before having surgery.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- This medicine lowers the number of some types of blood cells in your body. Because of this, you may bleed or get infections more easily. To help with these problems, avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Wash your hands often. Stay away from rough sports or other situations where you could be bruised, cut, or injured. Brush and floss your teeth gently. Be careful when using sharp objects, including razors and fingernail clippers.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Blood in your urine or stools, painful urination
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Yellow eyes or skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in your menstrual periods
- Hair loss, or changes in the color of your skin or nails
- Nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite
- Sores or white patches in your mouth or throat