Dornase Alfa (DOR-nase AL-fa)
Used with other medicines to treat cystic fibrosis. Helps to improve breathing and reduce the chance of lung infections.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dornase alfa.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You will use this medicine with an inhaler device called a nebulizer. The nebulizer turns the medicine into a fine mist that you breathe in through your mouth and to your lungs. Your caregiver will show you how to use your nebulizer. Use only the brand of nebulizer your caregiver has instructed you to use with this medicine.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about how to use the nebulizer.
- This medicine comes in single-dose ampules (vials). Once an ampule has been opened, you must use all of the medicine in it. Do not save the opened ampule for later use.
- Dornase alfa is used with other medicines to treat cystic fibrosis. Use all other medicines your doctor has prescribed as part of your combination treatment.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in the refrigerator in its original foil pouch and protect it from direct light. Do not freeze.
- If you must travel with your medicine, keep it refrigerated as much as possible. The medicine should not be left out at room temperature for more than 24 hours.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not mix any other medicine in the nebulizer with dornase alfa.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash or itching
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat, voice changes, or hoarseness
- Upset stomach