Ranitidine Bismuth Citrate (ra-NI-ti-deen BIZ-muth SIT-rate)
Treats duodenal ulcers caused by infections from bacteria called H pylori. Given with an antibiotic called clarithromycin (Biaxin®).
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ranitidine bismuth citrate, ranitidine (Zantac®), or bismuth citrate, or if you have severe kidney disease or a history of porphyria.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food. If the medicine upsets your stomach, take it with food or milk.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your ulcer may not heal if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have taken this medicine before.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease.
- This medicine may darken your tongue and your bowel movements. This is not permanent or harmful. It should clear up within one month after you stop taking this medicine.
- Black, tarry bowel movements may be a sign of bleeding. This should be reported to your doctor right away.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Dark-colored urine
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and fever
- Yellow eyes or skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- Mild skin rash
- Unpleasant taste in your mouth