Treats eye infections. This medicine is a quinolone antibiotic.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ciprofloxacin or other quinolone antibiotics (whether taken by mouth, injected, or used in your eyes). Other quinolone antibiotics include Noroxin®, Chibroxin®, NegGram®, and Floxin®, Ocuflox®, and Penetrex®.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- If you wear soft contacts, take them out before putting the drops in your eyes. You may need to wait at least 15 minutes after using the drops before putting in your contacts, or you may not be able to wear your contacts at all until your infection is gone. The eye drops may contain benzalkonium chloride, which can coat soft contact lenses. Ask your doctor about this.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- To use the ointment: Hold the tip of the tube close to your eye with the other hand. Avoid touching the tip of the tube to your eye or finger. Squeeze a ribbon of ointment into the pocket between your lower lid and eyeball. Close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wipe the tip with a clean tissue and close the tube tightly.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Eye drops: Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- Ointment: Keep the tube tightly closed when you are not using it.
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Check with your doctor before using any other medicine in your eyes.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe eye redness, itching, or swelling that was not there before you started using the medicine
- Skin rash
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bitter or bad taste in your mouth
- Blurred vision
- Crusting or white crystals in the corners of your eyes
- Feeling as if something is in your eyes
- Mild burning or stinging in the eyes
- Red eyelids