Treats an infection of the intestines called colitis.Belongs to a class of drugs called antibiotics.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Vancocin HCl Pulvules
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vancomycin.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Do not share your medicine with anybody else.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, open, or chew it.
- Shake the oral liquid well before each use.
- Measure your oral liquid dose carefully using a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- You may mix your oral liquid dose with 2 tablespoons of water. If needed a flavoring syrup may be added to improve the taste of the medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store your capsules at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Store the oral liquid in a refrigerator for up to 14 days. Do not freeze. After 14 days throw away any unused medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk with your doctor before taking vancomycin if you have severe kidney disease.
- It is important to take this medicine for as long as your doctor orders even if you feel better.
- If you have diarrhea that becomes worse while taking this medicine, talk with your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Swelling of the face, throat, or lips
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Rash or hives
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04