Treats nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy. Also prevents and treats nausea and vomiting that may happen after surgery.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dolasetron.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you when it will be given.
- An intravenous (in-tra-VEEN-us) or IV injection is given through a tube put in one of your veins, usually in your arm, wrist, hand, or sometimes in your chest.
- For chemotherapy treatment, this medicine is usually given as a single dose before each chemotherapy session
- For surgery, this medicine is usually given as a single dose before or after surgery.
- A nurse or other caregiver trained to give injections will give your treatment.
- Dolasetron may be mixed with juice and given by mouth to children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking diuretics (water pills), Tagamet®, rifampin (Rifadin®, Rifamate®), or drugs to treat heart rhythm problems.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all cancer medicines you may be receiving, especially drugs like doxorubicin (Adriamycin®) or daunorubicin (Cerubidine®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, especially heart rhythm problems. Also tell your doctor if you have low potassium or magnesium levels.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04