Treats or prevents migraine headaches. This medicine is an ergot alkaloid.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to methysergide or tartrazine. You should not use methysergide if you are pregnant, or if you have high blood pressure, lung disease, liver disease, kidney disease, blood vessel disorders, or certain types of heart disease.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine with food.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using efavirenz (Sustiva®), nadolol (Corzide®), naratriptan (Amerge®), propranolol (Inderal®), rizatriptan (Maxalt®), sibutramine (Meridia®), sumatriptan (Imitrex®), timolol (Blocadren®), zolmitriptan (Zomig®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease.
- If your symptoms do not improve after 3 weeks of using this medicine, call your doctor.
- After you have used this medicine for 6 months, you may need to stop using it for 3 to 4 weeks. Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without asking your doctor. You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain
- Cold feeling or bluish coloring of hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Fever, chills, flu-like symptoms
- Pain in leg (calf)
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint or muscle pain
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Redness or flushing in the face
- Skin rash
- Stomach pain, heartburn
- Weight gain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Review Date: 2011-02-04