Treats diarrhea caused by a parasite infection. The liquid medicine treats patients 1 year of age or older. The tablet form of this medicine treats patients 12 years of age or older.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to nitazoxanide.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Shake the bottle of medicine just before using. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- The liquid medicine is good for only 7 days after it is mixed. Throw away any liquid medicine you have left after 7 days.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor about any other medicines you are using, especially warfarin (Coumadin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or diabetes. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies to dyes or preservatives.
- Use only the form of this medicine that your doctor prescribed. The liquid and tablet forms contain different amounts of medicine.
- The liquid form of this medicine contains sugar. This is especially important if you or your child has diabetes.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea (either new or worse than before).
- Stomach pain, or vomiting.