Relaxes muscles during surgery or other medical procedures.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Amerinet Choice Succinylcholine Chloride, Anectine, Quelicin
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to succinylcholine. You should not receive this medicine if you have a history of malignant hyperthermia or problems with your muscles.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.This medicine may also be given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or an emergency room.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using digoxin (Lanoxin®), procainamide (Procanbid®, Pronestyl®), quinidine (Cardioquin®, Quinidex®), or an aminoglycoside (amikacin, kanamycin, streptomycin, tobramycin, Garamycin®, Kantrex®, Netromycin®).
- There are many other medicines that can interact with succinylcholine. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you have liver disease, glaucoma, overactive thyroid, anemia, or lung cancer.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have ever had high potassium or low calcium levels in your blood, or if you have a family member with malignant hyperthermia.
- Tell your doctor if you have recently had a serious injury, burn, or broken bone. Also make sure your doctor knows if you have muscle spasms, myasthenia gravis, muscular dystrophy, or a connective tissue disease such as Marfan syndrome.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, uneven heartbeat, shortness of breath, or numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips.
- Dark-colored urine.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Muscle pain, weakness, or tenderness.
- Stiff or rigid muscles, especially in your jaw.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Muscle weakness or stiffness in the days after you receive this medicine.