Causes you to become unconscious (fall asleep) before having surgery. This medicine is a type of anesthesia.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Amerinet Choice Suprane, Suprane
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to desflurane or similar types of inhaled anesthesia.
How to Use This Medicine
- You will receive this medicine before and during your surgery. You will inhale the medicine through a mask placed over your mouth and nose.
- Shortly after inhaling the medicine, you will become unconscious (fall asleep). During the surgery, you will continue to receive the medicine through the mask while you are asleep.
- You may feel anxious or nervous just before this medicine is given to you. Some people struggle or try to remove the face mask while they are being asked to inhale the medicine. It is important to take deep, steady breaths while you are receiving the medicine. This will help you relax and breathe in enough medicine to fall asleep quickly and easily.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using St. John's wort, benzodiazepines (such as Valium®), or narcotic pain relievers (such as Darvon® or Demerol®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, or clogged arteries. Tell your doctor if you have a history of seizures or head injury.
- Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has ever had any problems with anesthesia, such as a very high temperature during or after surgery (malignant hyperthermia).
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or confused for several hours. If you have had outpatient surgery, you will need someone to drive you home. It is best to have someone assist you at home for the first day or two after surgery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Lightheadedness or fainting after you awake from surgery.
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Muscle stiffness, rapid breathing, pale skin and bluish-colored lips or fingernails.
- Trouble breathing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting.