Loperamide (loe-PER-a-mide), Simethicone (sye-METH-i-kone)
Treats diarrhea, cramps, bloating, and pressure in your lower intestines.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief, Leader Anti-Diarrheal Plus Anti-Gas
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to loperamide or simethicone. Do not use this medicine if you have a fever, if you have blood in your stools, or if you are bleeding from your rectum.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Chewable Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Be sure to drink plenty of fluids whenever you are having diarrhea. This will help keep you from becoming dehydrated.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using any type of antibiotic. Diarrhea is a side effect of many antibiotics. In most cases, you should not take medicine to stop diarrhea that is caused by certain antibiotics. Talk with your doctor if you think your diarrhea may be caused by your recent use of an antibiotic medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a history of liver disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are still having diarrhea after using this medicine for 2 days. Also tell your doctor if your diarrhea gets worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stool.
- Constipation, nausea, drowsiness.
- Mucus in your stools.