Treats infants who were born with certain heart, lung, and blood vessel problems. May help to increase the amount of oxygen-rich blood that is pumped from the heart to the body, until other treatments can be done.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Prostin VR Pediatric
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Your baby should not be given this medicine if he has had an allergic reaction to alprostadil.
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.This medicine is given through a needle or a catheter placed in a vein. It may also be given through a catheter in your baby's umbilical cord.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure caregivers know if your baby has problems with breathing, digestion, or bleeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Seizures, fainting, or becoming limp
- Redness, swelling, or leaking from the IV site
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint swelling, or a decrease in movement of the arms or legs
- Diarrhea, swollen belly, vomiting, or other digestion problems
- Fever, flushing (unusual warmth or redness of the skin), or problems keeping a warm body temperature