Citric Acid (SIT-rik AS-id), Sodium Bicarbonate (SOE-dee-um bye-KAR-bo-nate)
Treats heartburn, acid indigestion, and upset stomach.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Alka-Seltzer Heartburn Relief
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate or citric acid.
How to Use This Medicine
Fizzy Tablet, Packet, Granule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- If you are using the effervescent tablet form of this medicine, dissolve the tablets fully in 4 ounces of water. Drink all of this mixture right away.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other medicines that should not be taken together with an antacid, such as sodium bicarbonate. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- The effervescent tablet form of this medicine contains sodium and phenylalanine. Before using an effervescent tablet, tell your doctor if you are on a salt-restricted diet, or if you have phenylketonuria.
- Tell your doctor if your symptoms last for longer than 14 days.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Worsening stomach discomfort or new symptoms.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04