Prevents infection of minor cuts, burns, or scrapes.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Antibiotic Ointment, Baciguent, Quality Choice Bacitracin, Rite Aid Bacitracin Zinc
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to bacitracin. Do not use this medicine in your eyes, over large areas of your body, or use it for longer than 7 days in a row.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Clean your skin wound before applying this medicine. Apply a small amount to the wound 1 to 3 times each day. You may cover the wound with a clean bandage after applying the medicine.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- This medicine is for use only on minor cuts or burns. Call your doctor if you have an animal bite or other puncture wound, a serious burn (with blistering), or a deep cut or skin injury.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Signs of infection (swelling, warmth, redness, pus) of your wound or skin injury.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild itching or skin rash.