Treats symptoms of Parkinson's disease or side effects of other drugs.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to biperiden. You should not use this medicine if you have narrow angle glaucoma, or if you have certain problems with your intestines (blocked bowel, megacolon).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a history of seizures. Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma, bowel or stomach problems, enlarged prostate, heart disease, or heart rhythm problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of mental problems, or if you have a disease that affects your nervous system. Tell your doctor about any other medical problems you may have.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using other medicine that makes you drowsy such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, anxiety medicine, or narcotic pain killers. Also make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine to treat vomiting or mental problems such as prochlorperazine (Compazine®), Mellaril®, Phenergan®, Thorazine®, or haloperidol (Haldol®). Tell your doctor if you are using medicine for depression or other health problems, such as amitriptyline (Elavil®), nortriptyline (Sinequan®), or doxepin (Pamelor®). Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking medicine for heart problems, such as quinidine (Cardioquin®, Quinaglute®).
- This medicine may keep you from sweating enough, which may cause your body to get too hot. Be careful in hot weather, or while doing activities such as exercising or using a sauna or whirlpool.
- This medicine may make you drowsy or cause you to have trouble thinking clearly. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, hallucinations (sensing things that are not there), or extreme behavior changes.
- Drowsiness, fainting, or seizures (convulsions).
- Heartbeat that is too fast, too slow, or uneven.
- Jerky muscle movement you cannot control (often in your face, tongue, or jaw).
- Large pupils (round, black part of the center of your eye), eyes sensitive to light.
- Muscle weakness or new trouble with movement.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, swollen belly, or pain in the stomach.
- Severe dry mouth that causes trouble swallowing or speaking, loss of appetite, or weight loss.
- Trouble urinating, or a decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Unable to sweat, feeling overheated, skin that is red or hot, or having a fever.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Dry mouth, bad breath, or dry skin.