Treats certain types of heart problems. This medicine also improves your breathing while you are under anesthesia.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to isoproterenol. You should not receive this medicine if you have certain heart rhythm problems or angina (chest pain). The medicine contains a sulfite. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfites before you receive this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using steroids (such as dexamethasone, prednisolone, prednisone, Medrol®), methylxanthines (such as theophylline, theobromine), or aminophylline.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, seizures, or overactive thyroid. Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or asthma.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Blurred vision, dizziness, or nervousness.
- Chest pain or trouble breathing.
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache or weakness.
- Pale skin or lips.
- Sweating or mild tremors.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04