Treats asthma and other breathing problems.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Asthmanefrin, S-2 Inhalant, S2
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to recepinephrine.
How to Use This Medicine
- You will use this medicine with an inhaler device called a nebulizer. The nebulizer turns the medicine into a fine mist that you breathe in through your mouth and to your lungs. Your caregiver will show you how to use your nebulizer.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a MAO inhibitor (MAOI) such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil® or Parnate®, of if you have used one in the past 14 days.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, liver disease, or problems urinating. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfite.
- If any of your asthma medicines do not seem to be working as well as usual, call your doctor right away. Do not change your doses or stop using your medicines without asking your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe confusion or nervousness.
- Unusually fast heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or loss of appetite.
- Nervousness or tremors.
- Trouble sleeping.