Vitamin D (VYE-ta-min D)
Maintains calcium and phosphorus in your body and makes your bones strong. This medicine is a vitamin.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Drisdol, Nature's Blend Vitamin D, Mason Natural D2000, Carlson Vitamin D, The Medicine Shoppe Natural Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Strovite Advance+D, Nature's Blend Vitamin D3, Nature's Blend Super Strength Vitamin D3, Delta D3, Mason Natural Vitamin D, Rite Aid Vitamin D-3, PharmAssure Vitamin D-3
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney stones, sarcoidosis, or overactive parathyroid gland.
- You should not use this medicine if you are under 18 years of age.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Weight loss.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04