Treats dry, irritated, or uncomfortable eyes.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Refresh, Refresh Plus, Refresh Liquigel, Tears Naturale Free, Tears Naturale, Refresh Endura, Theratears, Lacri-Lube S.O.P., Bion Tears, Refresh Tears, FreshKote, Murocel, Enuclene, Systane, Systane Lubricant Eye Drops
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients listed on the label of the product you are using.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Ointment, Gel/Jelly, Drop
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine. Remove contact lenses before using this medicine. When using eye drops, shake the bottle well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.If using a single-dose unit, throw it away after use. Do not save any of the liquid to use later.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- To use the ointment: Hold the tip of the tube close to your eye with the other hand. Avoid touching the tip of the tube to your eye or finger. Squeeze a ribbon of ointment into the pocket between your lower lid and eyeball. Close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wipe the tip with a clean tissue and close the tube tightly. Keep the tube tightly closed when you are not using it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have had an allergic reaction to any eye medicine or product in the past.
- Do not use the medicine if it becomes discolored. Do not use the eye drops if the liquid has become cloudy.
- See a doctor right away if you have an open wound in or near your eye, if your eye was burned with a chemical, or if you have a foreign object in your eye that you cannot rinse out.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Changes in vision.
- Eye pain, redness, or irritation that is not relieved by using this product.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Eye dryness that lasts longer than 72 hours.
- New or worsening eye symptoms.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04