- Spanish Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Wellness Tools
- Thomson DrugNotes
- In-Depth Reports
- Pregnancy Center
- Care Guides
- Spanish Surgery and Procedures
- Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Thomson DrugNotes Spanish
- Spanish Pregnancy Center
- Surgery and Procedures
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Astringent (On the skin)
Relieves minor skin irritations.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Domeboro, Dickinson's Witch Hazel Formula, Hazeletes, Rite Aid Pre-Moistened Medicated Wipes, Quality Choice Pre-Moistened Medicated Wipes, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Hygienic Cleansing Pad, Tucks, Rite Aid Hemorrhoidal Medicated Pad, A.E.R, Brite-Life Medicated Wipes, Good Neighbor Medicated Wipes, Derma Gran, Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent, Pedi-Boro, Gordon's Boro-Packs
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Pad, Ointment, Lotion, Fizzy Tablet, Powder, Packet
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away. Do not use this medicine inside your rectum unless your doctor tells you to. Ask your pharmacist if you are not sure what body areas you can use this medicine on.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Dissolve the effervescent tablet or powder in water before using it. Most tablets and powders must be dissolved in at least 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) of water. Follow the directions on the package. Ask your pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless your doctor has told you to.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
- You should not use this medicine more often or in larger amounts than your doctor ordered.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- New or continued redness, swelling, burning, or itching.
- Skin dryness.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04 Reviewed By: Keywords: ,
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only--they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2010 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.