Helps develop healthy teeth and prevents cavities.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Aquafresh, Aquafresh Extra Fresh Whitening, Aquafresh Extreme Clean, Aquafresh Iso-Active Whitening Deep Impact, Aquafresh Iso-Active Whitening Fresh Impact, Aquafresh Iso-Active Whitening Lasting Impact, Aquafresh White & Shine, Aquafresh Whitening, Clinpro 5000, Denta 5000 Plus, Dentagel, Fluoridex Daily Defense, Fluoridex Daily Defense Enhanced Whitening, Gel-Kam, Neutragard Advanced
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fluoride. Do not use on a child under 6 years old unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Gel/Jelly, Paste, Cream, Lozenge
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Do not swallow this medicine. It is for topical use on your teeth only.
- Different forms of this medicine are used in different ways. Make sure you follow your health caregivers instructions. Ask your pharmacist if you have any questions about how to use this medicine.
- To use the gel: Brush your teeth with toothpaste and rinse as usual. Apply a thin layer of gel to your teeth with a toothbrush or mouth tray once a day for at least 1 minute. Spit out the gel. For best results, apply at bedtime and do not eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes.
- To use the cream: Use this medicine instead of your regular toothpaste once a day. Apply a thin layer of cream to your toothbrush and brush for 2 minutes. Spit out the cream. For best results, apply at bedtime and do not eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes.
- Some liquid brands of this medicine must be diluted with water before using. Follow the directions on the package.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature in the original container, away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any foods, preservatives, or dyes.
- Too much fluoride can cause white patches or stains on your teeth. If this happens, stop using the medicine and call your doctor.
- If this medicine is being used by a child, an adult should watch the child and make sure they do not swallow the medicine. If they swallow too much of the medicine, it can cause fluoride toxicity. Ask your health caregiver if you have questions or concerns about this.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Burning in your mouth, sore tongue.
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Vomiting blood.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drooling or more saliva than usual.
- Stomach cramps.