There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Alophen, Biscolax, Correctol, Dulcolax, Dulcolax Bowel Cleansing Kit, Dulcolax Bowel Prep Kit, Fleet Bisacodyl, Gentle Laxative, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Laxative, LoSo Prep, Medi-Lax, TopCare Laxative, TopCare Woman's Laxative, Veracolate, Woman's Laxative
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to bisacodyl.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Coated Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not chew or crush it.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine within 1 hour after drinking milk or taking an antacid.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Before using this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or a sudden change in bowel habits.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you cannot swallow the tablet without chewing.
- Tell your doctor if your constipation does not improve after using this medicine for 1 week.
- You should not give this medicine to a child under 6 years of age unless a doctor tells you to.
- You may not see results for several hours after you have taken this medicine.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor right away if you do not have a bowel movement in 12 hours, or if you have rectal bleeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stomach cramps or discomfort.