Relieves pain caused by cold sores or fever blisters.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
First-BXN Mouthwash, First-Mouthwash BLM, LTA Preattached, Xylocaine, Zilactin-L
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lidocaine, procaine, butacaine, benzocaine, or other anesthetics (numbing medicine).
How to Use This Medicine
Powder, Liquid, Kit, Spray
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- For best results, use the medicine when you first feel early signs of a cold sore such as tingling, itching, or burning.
- To use, drop several drops of the medicine on a cotton swab and dab it onto the affected area. Allow the medicine to dry for 15 minutes.
- Do not apply this medicine in large quantities over raw or affected areas.
- This medicine is flammable. Do not use this medicine near heat, fire, or open flame.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.Do not use this medicine for more than 7 days.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- You should not use this medicine on a child under 2 years of age without a doctor's approval.
- Do not get this medicine into your eyes. If it does, rinse your eyes with water for ten minutes and call your doctor right away.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Swelling, rash, or fever.