Treats conditions that cause loss of bladder control, such as overactive bladder, urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to darifenacin, or if you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma. You should not use this medicine if you are unable to urinate, if you have a bladder obstruction, or if you have problems with digestion.
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is usually taken once each day. Take your medicine with a full glass of water or other liquid.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Drink extra fluids so you will pass more urine while you are using this medicine. This will keep your kidneys working well and help prevent kidney problems.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using clarithromycin (Biaxin®), flecainide, itraconazole (Sporanox®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), nefazodone (Serzone®), nelfinavir (Viracept®), ritonavir (Kaletra®, Norvir), or thioridazine (Mellaril®).
- Tell your doctor if you use medicine for depression, such as amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, liver disease, myasthenia gravis, or a stomach disorder such as constipation or ulcerative colitis.
- While you are using this medicine, you may be more sensitive to heat. You could develop heat exhaustion, especially when you exercise or are outdoors on a hot day. Drink extra water while you are in a hot environment, and try to avoid getting too hot.
- This medicine may cause blurred vision or make you dizzy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert or cannot see well.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Being unable to urinate or problems with urination.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Unusual weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision, dry eyes.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Dry mouth, dry skin.
- Headache, back pain, joint pain.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Stomach pain or upset.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04