Miconazole Nitrate (mye-KON-a-zole NYE-trate)
Treats infections that are caused by fungus, such as athlete's foot, ringworm, or jock itch. Also relieves itching, burning, cracking, or scaling of the feet.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Aloe Vesta Antifungal, Anti-Fungal, Baza Antfungal Skin Care Pack, Baza Antifungal, Critic-Aid Clear AF, Cruex Prescription Strength, Derma Gran AF, Desenex, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 3, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazorb AF, Good Sense Miconazole 3, Leader Miconazole 3 Combination Pack, Leader Miconazole Nitrate, Lotrimin AF, Micatin
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to miconazole.
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Spray, Ointment, Powder, Lotion
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the skin area before applying the medicine.
- To use the powder, cream, lotion, or ointment, apply a thin layer of medicine over the affected area. Use this medicine each morning and each evening, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- To use the spray, shake the can well just before each use. Hold the can about 4 to 6 inches away from your skin and spray on a thin layer of medicine over the affected area. Do not inhale the fumes from the spray. Use this medicine each morning and each evening, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. If the spray can clogs, remove the spray button and clean the nozzle with a pin.
- Before using the effervescent tablet, clean your feet and dry them thoroughly. Fill a pan or foot bath tub with 1 gallon of warm water and drop in 1 effervescent tablet. Soak your feet for 15 to 30 minutes, and then pat them dry with a towel.
- When treating athlete's foot, be sure to apply this medicine to the spaces in between your toes. Between treatments, keep your feet as dry as possible. Change your socks and shoes at least once each day. Wear shoes that fit you well and do not make your feet sweat heavily.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Do not inhale the spray or use it near heat, open flame, or while smoking. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not use this medicine on a child under 2 years of age unless your doctor tells you to. Supervise any child who does use this medicine to make sure he or she uses it properly.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- This medicine is not for treating infections of the scalp, fingernails, or toenails.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- No improvement in athlete's foot after 4 weeks of using this medicine.
- No improvement in jock itch after 2 weeks of using this medicine.
- No improvement in ringworm after 4 weeks of using this medicine.
- Worsening of your condition.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Minor irritation of treated skin areas.