Miconazole Nitrate (mye-KON-a-zole NYE-trate), Petrolatum, White, Zinc Oxide (zink OX-ide)
Treats diaper rash in children 4 weeks and older. This medicine is only used when there is a yeast infection with the diaper rash. This infection is also called candida or candidiasis.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not give this medicine if your child had an allergic reaction to miconazole nitrate, white petrolatum, or zinc oxide.
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Change wet and soiled diapers right away. Clean the diaper area with warm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a thin layer of this medicine on your child's diaper area at each diaper change. Do not rub into your child's skin.
- This medicine is not for long-term use. If the rash gets worse or does not get better after 7 days, call your doctor.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine to prevent diaper rash.
- Each antifungal medicine is made to treat a certain kind of infection. Use only the medicine your doctor has prescribed. You should not use an over-the-counter product in place of what your doctor has told you to use.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04