Sodium Hypochlorite (SOE-dee-um hye-poe-KLOR-ite)
Cleans skin and certain types of wounds to treat or prevent infection.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Dakin's, Dakin's Solution Full Strength, Dakin's Solution Half Strength, Dakin's Solution Quarter Strength, Di-Dak-Sol, H-Chlor 12, Hysept
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium hypochlorite, or if you are sensitive to chlorine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Pour on or apply this medicine to affected skin area. You may protect the surrounding intact skin with a moisture barrier ointment or skin sealant unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Follow your doctor's instructions about how to care for your wound before and after using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may bleach clothing.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, irritation, swelling, or pain on treated skin areas.