Hyaluronic Acid (hye-al-ure-ON-ate AS-id)
Treats certain types of skin sores and infections, including burns, bed sores, wounds from surgery, and skin ulcers caused by diabetes or varicose veins.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Bionect, HyGel, Hylase Wound, Hylira, Zacare 4%, Zacare 8%
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hyaluronic acid.
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Gel/Jelly, Spray, Lotion
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Clean the affected skin area just before using this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer to the affected area. Rub it in gently.After applying the medicine, you may cover the skin area with a bandage or dressing unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Shake the aerosol can just before using. Hold the can 3 to 6 inches from the skin and spray for about 2 seconds.
- Do not inhale the spray or use it near heat, open flame, or while smoking. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
- Do not use this medicine along with skin cleansers containing benzalkonium chloride (Handclens®, Zephiran®) or benzethonium chloride (Bedside-Care®, Microklenz®, Secura® Moisturizing Cleanser).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, itching, or redness on treated skin areas.