Benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane), Menthol (MEN-thol)
Temporarily relieves sore throat or mouth pain, minor mouth irritation, or pain caused by canker sores. This medicine is an oral anesthetic.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
The Medicine Shoppe Sore Throat Lozenges, QC Sore Throat Lozenges, Sore Throat, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Sore Throat Lozenges, Chloraseptic, Cepacol Sore Throat, Cepacol, Cepacol Maximum Strength
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You or your child should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to benzocaine, menthol, or other local anesthetics, such as butacaine, procaine, or any other "caine" anesthetic.
How to Use This Medicine
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Allow the lozenge to slowly dissolve in your mouth.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Increased irritation, pain, or redness.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Rash or swelling.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04