Brilliant Green (bril-YENT green), Gentian Violet (JEN-shun VYE-oh-let), Proflavine Sulfate (PROE-flay-vin SUL-fate)
Cleans the umbilical cord (bellybutton) stump of newborn babies to prevent infection.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Kerr Triple Dye
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not apply this medicine if your baby has had an allergic reaction to brilliant green, gentian violet, or proflavine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your baby's eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Apply the medicine with the applicator provided. Allow the treated areas to dry before putting clothes on.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to apply the medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your baby's next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Rash or hives, swelling of the face or hands, swelling in the mouth or throat, or trouble breathing.