Treats type 2 diabetes. Used together with proper diet and exercise to help control high blood sugar.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sitagliptin.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet or exercise program. Test your blood sugar regularly.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. Ask your pharmacist for the Medication Guide if you do not have one.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using insulin or other medicine to treat your diabetes (such as glimepiride, glipizide, glyburide, tolbutamide, Amaryl®, Glucotrol®, or Orinase®). Tell your doctor if you are also using digoxin (Digitek®, Lanoxin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease. Make sure your doctor knows if you are injured or sick, especially if you are dehydrated, or you have an infection, severe vomiting, diarrhea, or fever. Tell your doctor if you plan to have surgery.
- Do not use this medicine to treat type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Pancreatitis may occur while you are using this medicine. Stop using this medicine and tell your doctor right away if you have sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, or lightheadedness. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or have gallstones, high cholesterol, or high triglycerides, or if you have had pancreas problems before. These conditions may increase your risk for pancreatitis.
- You may develop low blood sugar while you are taking this medicine. You may feel weak, drowsy, confused, anxious, or very hungry. You may have trouble seeing or have a headache that won't go away. Tell your doctor if this happens. Low blood sugar may be caused by exercising more than normal or waiting too long to eat.
- Rarely, this medicine may cause kidney problems, sometimes requiring dialysis.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood or urine at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments. You will also need to check your blood sugar regularly at home.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Dizziness, shakiness, increased hunger, lightheadedness, fast heartbeat, weakness, tiredness, or confusion
- Fever, chills, cough, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, and body aches
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, and lightheadedness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stuffy or runny nose