- Spanish Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Wellness Tools
- Thomson DrugNotes
- In-Depth Reports
- Pregnancy Center
- Care Guides
- Spanish Surgery and Procedures
- Health Illustrated Encyclopedia
- Thomson DrugNotes Spanish
- Spanish Pregnancy Center
- Surgery and Procedures
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Armodafinil (By mouth)
Improves daytime wakefulness in people with uncontrollable sleepiness caused by narcolepsy or sleep apnea. Also used in people who are sleep deprived from working odd hours, such as a night shift.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to armodafinil or modafinil.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you use this medicine for daytime wakefulness, take it in the morning. If you use it to stay awake during shift work, take the medicine one hour before you begin working.
- If you have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine at night, continue using this machine with the medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine for seizures (such as carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, Tegretol®, Dilantin®), diazepam (Valium®), midazolam (Versed®), triazolam (Halcion®), rifampin (Rifadin®, Rimactane®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), erythromycin (Ery-Tab®), cyclosporine (Neoral®, Sandimmune®), omeprazole (Prilosec®), propranolol (Inderal®), or clomipramine (Anafranil®). Tell your doctor if you are also using blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin®), or an MAO inhibitor such as Marplan®, Parnate®, Nardil®, or Eldepryl®.
- Birth control pills, implants, patches, shots, vaginal rings, or IUDs may not work as well while you are using armodafinil. To keep from getting pregnant, use a second form of birth control with your pills, implant, patch, shot, vaginal ring, or IUD while you are using this medicine. Continue using the second form of birth control for one month after your last dose. Other forms of birth control include condoms, a diaphragm, or a contraceptive foam or jelly.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease, or a history of mental illness, drug abuse, or alcohol abuse. Also tell your doctor if you have mitral valve prolapse or any other heart disease, or if you have recently had chest pain or a heart attack.
- This medicine may cause a serious type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor right away if you have itching, hives, hoarseness, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth while you are using this medicine.
- Until you know how this medicine affects you, avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that requires you to be alert.
- This medicine does not take the place of getting enough sleep. It should not be used for occasional sleepiness that has not been diagnosed as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or shift-work sleep problems. Ask your doctor for advice about good sleep habits.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash.
- Fast or pounding heartbeat.
- Fever or chills.
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Tremors or shaking.
- Unusual thoughts or behavior.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth or increased thirst.
- Headache or dizziness.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain or upset.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04 Reviewed By: Keywords: ,
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only--they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2010 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.