Treats infections caused by bacteria. This medicine is an antibiotic.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to doripenem or similar medicines such as ertapenem (Invanz®), imipenem/cilastatin (Primaxin®), meropenem (Merrem®), amoxicillin (Amoxil®), ampicillin (Principen®), cefaclor (Ceclor®), cefdinir (Omnicef®), cefotaxime (Claforan®), ceftriaxone (Rocephin®), cephalexin (Keflex®), or penicillin.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you use probenecid (Benemid®), sodium valproate (Depacon®), or valproic acid (Depakene®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or a history of seizures or stroke. Tell your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any other antibiotic.
- If you have severe diarrhea, ask your doctor before taking any medicine to stop the diarrhea.Diarrhea may occur 2 months or more after you stop using this medicine.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Diarrhea that may be bloody
- Severe stomach pain, fever
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea or nausea
- Mild skin rash or itching
- Pain, redness, tenderness, or swelling on your skin where the needle is placed