Sodium Bicarbonate (SOE-dee-um bye-KAR-bo-nate)
Treats heartburn, acid indigestion, and sour or upset stomach. This is an antacid.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate.
How to Use This Medicine
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all the other medicines you are using. There are certain prescription medicines that should not be taken together with an antacid.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine contains salt. Talk to your doctor before using this medicine if you are on a low-sodium (low-salt) diet.
- Tell your doctor if your symptoms last for longer than two weeks.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Headache that continues.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweats, and bluish-colored skin.
- Stomach discomfort that gets worse or new stomach symptoms.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04